Wednesday, December 14, 2011

So What?

Brody's had the toughest time learning his body parts. I think we have "belly" and "toes" down but nose has been a pretty difficult part for him to grasp. Maybe it's because we really don't ever look at our noses? Unless we have a mirror in front of our faces at all times.

A few months back, I shared this information with my therapist, that he could not indentify his nose. (Yes, I see a therapist, and those of you who are parents of special needs children, I strongly suggest talking to someone about your worries.)

"So what?"

That was his response.

"Well, he can't point to his nose...I mean, he has no idea what it is..." I said, in tears at this point.

"And....?" He replied. "If this is your biggest worry right now, be thankful.
Is he happy?"

"Yes..." I responded.

"Is he healthy?"

"Well, yeah."

"Then relax. He will learn it in his own time..."

That is absolutely true.

I get a lot of questions about what goals Matt and I have for Brody. I actually get asked this a lot.."Well, what do you see him doing?" I try not to think about that right now.

We're just taking him one day at a time and loving every minute of who Brody is as a person. I think if we encourage him to be unique and loving for now, the rest will fall into place.

Plus, we are very fortunate to have amazing professionals taking care of him every day. He gets 8 hours of therapy through Parkway and he is making progress so far.

So, whenever I see that Brody just "isn't getting it.." or cannot make animal sounds or point to his body parts, I think to myself...

"So What?"

It's time to focus on what really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment